The “TOP 100 Cross-Border Marketplaces Europe” Report is the annual analysis of the best global cross-border platforms operating in Europe, EU28, including the UK.
The total cross-border e-commerce market in Europe, including the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Norway, represented a turnover of €237 billion in 2021 (excluding travel), of which €141 billion, or 59%, was generated by marketplaces. Amazon and eBay expectedly have the lion’s share, with a turnover of €51 billion and €25 billion in 2021, driving more than half of the market.
The TOP 100 Cross-Border Marketplaces generate €128 billion in turnover throughout Europe. During the COVID-19 pandemic, marketplaces grew by an impressive 22%, supported by C2C marketplaces. This growth is expected to continue in 2022, reaching 65% of cross-border online sales in Europe by 2025. CB Commerce carried out the study with support from Checkout.com, FedEx Express, Lengow, nShift and Payoneer.
The “TOP 100 Cross-Border Marketplaces operating in Europe” is a compilation of cross-border data of European marketplaces websites. The ranking is based on four parameters:
- Cross-border online sales in Europe (28 countries in Europe, including the UK, Switzerland and Norway)
- SEO indicators for cross-border performance
- A cross-border score determined by the number of covered countries
- Number and percentage of cross-border visits
Four additional weighted parameters refine the ranking:
- Marketplace business models (B2B – B2C – P2P – C2C – …)
- Pan-European brand strategies
- AI & Big Data strategies
- Type and number of services offered to customers
Get immediate digital access now.